On Instagram, users anticipate a quick response when they message you. People can track when their messages have been read thanks to the platform’s read receipts feature. But how to turn off read receipts on Instagram?
This article will outline various methods for disabling read receipts on Instagram.
Table of Contents
What Is Instagram Read Receipt?
If you are an Instagram user who frequently checks to see if your messages have reached your chat partner and you are the type of person who uses direct messages to communicate with friends and family, you have probably noticed the “seen” indicator on your DMs.
These signs are basically Instagram read receipts indicating that the person you’re chatting with has received and read your These receipts will also let you know when your friend has viewed your Instagram message, so DM.
Purpose of Read Receipts
In the communication of instant messages, read receipts are significant.
They serve as a signal to the sender that you have read and recognized their messages. To avoid receiving read receipts, many users, however, prefer to turn off this feature or read their direct messages while offline.
Try calling first if you’re in a rush or require a prompt response. You can then leave a message for the person if they choose not to respond. Just be sure to state that you require a response right away.
How To Turn Off Read Receipts On Instagram?
On Instagram, you cannot disable read receipts, but you can read messages in private by first activating airplane mode. But before that, you must refrain from tapping message notification pop-ups.
Turn Off Instagram Message Notifications
It’s impossible to undo the marking of a message as read once you tap an Instagram message notification. You can prevent this by disabling Instagram Direct notifications. Here’s how.
- Go to your profile in the Instagram app by opening it.
- The menu icon (three vertical lines) should be tapped.
- Tap Settings.
- Select Notifications.
- Select Messages. (It might say Direct Messages.)
- Tick the boxes next to Off in the Message Requests and Messages section.
Read Instagram Messages While In Airplane Mode
Open your inbox when you’re ready to read your messages, then activate airplane mode before tapping any messages.
- Open the Instagram application.
- Tap the Messenger symbol in the top right. Tap the mail icon to access the Instagram Direct inbox if you haven’t already switched to the combined Instagram/Facebook Messenger inbox.
- Turn on Airplane Mode and make sure Wi-Fi is off. To access the Quick Settings Menu on Android, swipe down from the top of the screen. Tap Airplane mode. To turn on airplane mode on an iPhone, swipe down to open the Control Center and tap Airplane mode
- Read your messages.
- Go back to your profile page after leaving the inbox.
- The menu icon is represented by three vertical lines.
- Tap Settings at the bottom.
- Scroll down and tap Log Out.
- Turn off airplane mode.
- Re-log in to your account.
While you can read your messages offline to avoid marking them as read, you cannot turn off read receipts on Instagram. Before opening your messages, make sure Airplane Mode is activated and that Wi-Fi is turned off.
Read Next: How To Screenshot On iPhone 7?
We’ve already provided you with two in-app fixes and one third-party app fix that is 100% sure to stop your Instagram posts from being marked as “seen”! It’s time to see if you have any additional questions now.
Can You Change Read Receipts On Instagram?
The answer is, interestingly, yes! As discussed in the article, the answer to the question ‘can you turn off receipts on Instagram is a no. The read receipts on Instagram, however, are updated, so you should be aware of that! With the aid of Instagram for desktop!
The read receipt will change if you access Instagram for desktop and see a message that you’ve already opened in the Instagram app. Let’s say you received a direct message from a friend at 2:00 p.m. After that, at 4:00 p.m., you log back into your IG account on a desktop and reopen the chat. When your friend opens your chat, she/he will see that the Instagram seen receipt has changed to 4 o’clock!
This was put to the test by us, and it passed with flying colors! Notice that only a few people know about this feature because it is relatively new information about Instagram read receipts. So, how you choose to apply this knowledge is entirely up to you!
How To Disable The Active Status On Instagram?
Your friends and followers can typically see when you last used the platform. However, now that you are aware of how to disable read receipts on Instagram, it would be disappointing if your activity status revealed to your friends that you had in fact read their message. So, how do you disable Instagram’s active status? Follow the steps below:
- Log into your Instagram account to access your profile feed first.
- In the top right corner, tap the three horizontal lines, then choose “settings.”
- Next, select “Privacy” and then “Activity Status.”
- Whether you want other people to be able to see your online status is entirely up to you.
How To Disable Read Receipts In Facebook Messenger?
Facebook and Instagram are currently the two most popular social media sites, as you may know. To turn off read receipts on FB messenger, go to the “Settings” and then, tap on “Messages”. Here, you’ll see an option called “Send Read Receipts”. You’re good to go once you toggle it off.